We are hiring a Community Arborist – full time, 3 month contract position
We are currently seeking a Community Arborist to manage a program to support tree planting on private property in Oakville.
Overview of Position
The position will lead the implementation of Oakvillegreen’s Backyard Tree Planting programs and support our ongoing community outreach activities. The list below outlines the major tasks related to the position; however additional tasks may be assigned as needed.
Backyard Tree Planting Program Coordination (70%)
- Develop, manage and, implement Backyard Tree Planting Program in Oakville, in collaboration with staff from the Toronto-based NGO, LEAF (Local Enhancement and Appreciation of Forests)
- Participate in capacity-sharing training and job-shadowing opportunities with LEAF staff in Toronto as needed
- Coordinate implementation of a residential planting program in Oakville:
- Develop marketing strategy and promote the program through presentations, outreach events, articles, website updates, blogs, social media and other outlets
- Conduct site consultations with individual property owners
- Carry out seasonal tree planting
- Strictly follow safety and quality guidelines for all plantings
- Drive cube truck following safety guidelines
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of all information
- Deliver educational messages and materials in person and through phone/email contact with participants
- Keep accurate program records, including evaluation
- Represent Oakvillegreen in a professional manner
- Carry out various administrative duties including database entry, queries and reporting, client communications, consultation bookings, financial record-keeping
- Assess program outcomes, prepare evaluation reports and share program learning
- Contribute to efforts to advance program sustainability via sponsorship, fundraising, in-kind support.
Education and Outreach Operations (30%)
- Assist in planning and promotion of planting, stewardship and education events to engage the public, including tree tours, tree inventory workshops, tree care sessions, and school tree planting workshops.
- Promote OCA programs at public events
- Graduate from a university or college program in urban forestry, environmental studies, ecology or related field
- ISA Certified Arborist or currently meet criteria to write ISA Arborist certification exam
- Skills and experience in the fields of arboriculture and/or urban forestry
- Project coordination experience working in the non-profit sector with experience in executing project plans, adhering to project budgets, and meeting project deadlines
- Community knowledge and experience in Oakville is considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service
- Attention to detail and superior organization skills
- Creative problem solving skills
- Experience in developing and organizing public outreach/education events
- Proven ability to work independently while contributing to a team environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access), with ArcGIS an asset
- Must be able to handle physical demands of heavy lifting and outdoor work in inclement weather
- Must have weather-appropriate work clothing and steel-toed boots
- Full “G” driver’s license and clean driving record required
- Experience driving a cube truck an asset
- Emergency First Aid + CPR and AED Certification an asset
This is a full time (35-40 hours per week), 3-month contract position. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Anticipated contract start date is September 4, 2018.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to: Giuliana Casimirri, Executive Director, ed[at]oakvillegreen.org.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted, with interviews conducted between August 27th and 31st. No phone calls please. We appreciate all applications, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.