(Pending confirmation of funds)
We are hiring! Oakvillegreen is currently accepting applications for the Environmental Outreach Assistant.
Gain some hands-on community greening and environmental outreach experience and help our programs grow and adapt to COVID regulations.
Overview of Position
The youth will support Oakvillegreen’s ongoing nature restoration, environmental education and outreach activities. Specialized work includes the development of rain garden, water conservation, urban forest and pollinator-friendly garden activities including developing new outreach materials. Will be expected to recruit, train and guide community members to become volunteer environmental stewards, whether in person or via virtual platforms.
- aged 15- 30 years at start of employment, to conform to the eligibility requirements of the Federal CSJ grant
- a passion for Oakville environmental conservation
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel, Google Docs/Forms, social media tools
- proficiency in webinar based tools (Zoom, Facebook Live etc) to adapt programming from in-person activities to virtual, due to COVID restrictions in place
- ability to perform stewardship activities in the field involving lifting, bending, digging, often in inclement weather
- ideally, undertaking post-secondary education in a relevant field
- willingness to work evenings and weekends
- driver’s license and access to a car is an asset
- experience in environmental education, event planning and working with volunteers is an asset
What youth participants are eligible
To be eligible, youth must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
This is a 14 week paid position commencing on or around May 25th, 2020. Evenings and weekends are required.
Please send a cover letter outlining your qualifications and eligibility, and a resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, May 24th, 2020.