Position: Residential Tree Planting and Stewardship Coordinator
Organization: Oakvillegreen Conservation Association Inc.
Location: Oakville, Ontario (with travel for training to Toronto)
Oakvillegreen Conservation Association is a not-for-profit environmental organization with a 17-year history of protecting and enhancing nature and promoting a greener Oakville. We strive to make Oakville a living city with enhanced natural diversity & healthier green spaces and to reconnect people to the natural environment in their neighborhood and across their community to move them to action.
We are currently seeking a Residential Tree Planting and Stewardship Coordinator to manage implementation of a program to support tree planting on private property in Oakville. This position is partially funded through the Eco Canada Internship Program. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- recently graduated from a post-secondary institution
- 30 years of age or younger
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status
Overview of Position:
The coordinator will lead the development of Oakvillegreen’s new Residential Tree Planting Program and support our ongoing stewardship, education and outreach activities. The list below outlines the major tasks related to the position; however additional tasks may be assigned as needed.
Residential Tree Planting Program Coordination (70%):
- Develop, manage and, implement a new Residential Tree Planting Program in Oakville, in collaboration with staff from the Toronto-based NGO, LEAF (Local Enhancement and Appreciation of Forests)
- Participate in capacity-sharing training and job-shadowing opportunities with LEAF staff in Toronto as needed
- Develop a collaborative delivery model and identify roles and responsibilities related to various program components
- Coordinate implementation of a pilot residential planting program in Oakville:
- Develop marketing strategy and promote the program through presentations, outreach events, articles, website updates, blogs, social media and other outlets
- Conduct site consultations with individual property owners
- Carry out seasonal tree planting
- Strictly follow safety and quality guidelines for all plantings
- Drive cube truck following safety guidelines
- Ensure completeness and accuracy of all information
- Deliver educational messages and materials in person and through phone/email contact with participants
- Keep accurate program records, including evaluation
- Represent Oakvillegreen in a professional manner
- Carry out various administrative duties including database entry, queries and reporting, client communications, consultation bookings, financial record-keeping
- Assess program outcomes, prepare evaluation reports and share program learning
- Contribute to efforts to advance program sustainability via sponsorship, fundraising, in-kind support.
Education and Outreach Operations (30%)
- Assist in planning and delivery of planting, stewardship and education events to engage the public
- Promote OCA programs at public events
- Recent graduate from a university or college program in urban forestry, environmental studies or related field
- Skills and experience in the fields of arboriculture and/or urban forestry
- Project coordination experience working in the non-profit sector with experience in executing project plans, adhering to project budgets, and meeting project deadlines
- ISA arborist certification or currently meet criteria to write ISA arborist certification exam
- Community knowledge and experience in Oakville is considered an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service
- Attention to detail and superior organization skills
- Creative problem solving skills
- Experience in developing and organizing public outreach/education events
- Proven ability to work independently while contributing to a team environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, emphasis on Access
- Must be able to handle physical demands of heavy lifting and outdoor work in inclement weather
- Must have weather-appropriate work clothing and steel-toed boots
- Full “G” driver’s license and clean driving record required
- Experience driving a cube truck an asset
- Emergency First Aid + CPR and AED Certification an asset
- Must meet requirements for Eco Canada Internship Program
This is a full time (35-40 hours per week) position. This is a one-year contract with opportunity for renewal. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, as a single PDF, to: Giuliana Casimirri, Executive Director, ed[at]oakvillegreen.org. The application deadline is 5pm on August 25th, 2017, however; applications will be reviewed as they are submitted.
No phone calls please. We appreciate all applications, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.