We are launching a new Oakville Ready for Rain program soon!
We want to put Oakville on the map as a leader in the adoption and uptake of innovative stormwater management solutions!
Currently, over 40% of Oakville is impervious surface area ~ think parking lots, buildings, roadways and driveways. With climate change we can expect rainfall volumes and intensity to increase and urban flooding to impact our community. This hands-on project will demonstrate how we can modify properties to capture rainwater and create landscapes that absorb rainwater where it falls. By allowing rain water to filter into the soil before entering Lake Ontario, our water will be cleaner and our neighbourhoods more resilient during heavy rains. Residents and businesses in selected Oakville neighbourhoods working together will demonstrate how we can create beautiful and sustainable green spaces to divert water from our sewer systems.
The program launches this month and we are seeking community input to select target neighbourhoods for installation of new rain-absorbing landscaping solutions. Community installation projects can include: rain gardens, rain barrels, ditch conversions to bioswales, permeable pavement, or strategically placed boulevard rain gardens with curb cuts. Property owners, neighbourhood groups or associations interested in participating and hosting a retrofit project on their properties should contact Oakvillegreen at email@example.com.
We are also hiring a part time program coordinator to implement this project. Please see the full job posting below.
PROGRAM COORDINATOR – OAKVILLE READY FOR RAIN
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Overview of Position: We are seeking an experienced program coordinator to lead the implementation of all aspects of this project including, overall coordination, workplan implementation, outreach/promotions, liaise with stakeholders, partners, and contractors, program marketing, volunteer supervision, evaluation and reporting.
The list below outlines the major tasks related to the position:
- Identify target neighbourhood in consultation with key partners
- Make presentations and engage partners and neighbourhood champions
- Work with neighbourhood champions to ensure neighbourhood buy-in for green stormwater retrofits
- Recruit property owners and facilitate their participation in the project using social media and staffing booths at community events and locations
- Coordinate with a professional landscape architect who will design each project
- Secure in-kind donations and pursue further funding opportunities
- Recruit volunteers and supervise volunteer work parties to complete the retrofit installations
- Follow up with site visits and homeowner/participants to ensure retrofits are working adequately
- Track results, prepare evaluation and final reports, and video case study
- Identify further opportunities for similar projects and funding sources
- Secure funding for continuation or duplication of the project.
- Participate in capacity-sharing training with Green Communities Canada and other organizations as needed
- Additional tasks assigned as needed
- Post-secondary education in a related field (environment, community development, landscaping, geography, hydrogeology, civil engineering)
- Knowledge of stormwater concerns and green stormwater infrastructure
- Knowledge of municipal planning and green infrastructure policy issues
- 2 years’ experience coordinating a similar project to its successful completion, including executing project plans, adhering to project budgets, and meeting project deadlines
- Demonstrated commitment to environment, water quality and/or social justice as evidenced by volunteer commitments
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in developing and organizing public outreach/education events
- Community knowledge of stormwater and flooding issues in Oakville
- Pre-existing relationships with the potential target neighbourhoods (having lived and/or worked in Oakville)
- Personal experience of flooding
- Full “G” driver’s license and clean driving record
This a part-time (24 hours per week), 12 month, contract position, reporting to Oakvillegreen’s Executive Director, with training and mentorship opportunities through Green Communities Canada. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Anticipated contract start date is October 8, 2018.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to: Giuliana Casimirri, Executive Director, ed at oakvillegreen dot org.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted, with interviews beginning October 1st until the position is filled. No phone calls please. We appreciate all applications, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.