What’s your vision for the future of Bronte Harbour and Oakville Harbour?
Bronte Harbour and Oakville Harbour, at the mouth of Bronte Creek and Sixteen Mile Creek respectively, provide a gateway to the Lake Ontario waterfront and also serve as important ecological floodplain areas.
Oakvillegreen would like to see the Oakville Harbours Master Plan reflect the Town’s initiatives to manage Stormwater, expand the Urban Forest and implement principles of the Active Transportation Plan.
There is great potential in this study area for native trees and shrubs, a rain garden, and other leading edge low impact development design features! We also think people want to be able to walk or bike from their home or condo downtown to a restful park & greenspace by the water, and not a parking lot.
Please attend the Open House on May 3rd at QEPCC to SHARE YOUR VISION for harbour improvements that:
- are designed to provide safe and comfortable access and connections for people of all ages, and especially active modes of travel – including pedestrians, cyclists, and transit users.
- uphold best stormwater management practices – including permeable surfaces, and landscaping and building design features that absorb and filter stormwater, such as bio-swales, rain gardens, rain barrels, green roofs and naturalized vegetation zones.
- enhance tree canopy cover and native tree and shrub diversity.
- welcome residents and visitors to access Bronte Creek, Sixteen Mile Creek and the Lake Ontario Waterfront for passive and active recreational purposes with shaded, walkable, and greener gathering places.
WHEN: Tuesday, May 3, 2016
3 p.m. OR 6:30 p.m.
WHERE: Queen Elizabeth Community Centre and Cultural Centre, Multi-Purpose Room 1
2302 Bridge Road
More at Town of Oakville Habours Master Plan page:
The Town of Oakville is developing a Harbours Master Plan to ensure the Bronte Harbour and Oakville Harbour continue to thrive well into the future. This Master Plan will establish a long-term, affordable vision for development in both harbours with infrastructure that supports the changing and growing nature of the community so that generations to come can continue to enjoy all the harbours have to offer.
The Harbours Master Plan has four key objectives:
- Determining the future use of the Bronte Marina Building.
- Updating the 2011 Oakville Harbours Strategic Business Plan.
- Completing Phase Two of the Recreational Boating Feasibility and Capacity Study including investigating potential locations for a new marina.
- Providing recommendations on improved access, connections, recreational amenities and priorities for both harbours.
Stakeholder and public input is critical to the success of this Master Plan, so please attend our first community workshop. You can choose to attend either of the two sessions planned.
Each session will share the same information and begin with a presentation followed by table group discussions to receive input on our work in progress and to help identify the best opportunities for improvement in both harbours.
Information and updates will be posted on the Harbours Master Plan website: www.oakville.ca/culturerec/harbours-master-plan. If you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.