Happy New Year!! At Oakvillegreen we’re very excited for what this year has in store, and we hope 2018 will be our greenest year yet!
Last year we planted thousands of trees and shrubs, reached thousands of youth through our education programs, removed truckloads of invasive species from Oakville woodlots and even launched a new Backyard Tree Planting program!
This year, we will be continuing to advocate for issues like preventing the development of Glen Abbey golf course, educating youth on environmental issues, planting more trees and continuing our stewardship of Oakville’s urban forest.
Here are some of the things we’re doing to make 2018 GREEN:
- Reaching our goal of planting 40 trees in Oakville backyards through our Backyard Tree Planting program by the summer, and then planting more in the fall with funding from the Town of Oakville!
- Making connections with new corporate groups to plant trees and remove invasive species in our woodlots through our Corporate Greening Day program
- Expanding our Youth Stewards program to focus on youth-driven stewardship projects based on issues important to our Youth Stewards
- Creating a new Pollinator Patch at an Oakville park and hosting workshops to help homeowners create their own patches in their yards
- Hosting Tree Tenders Volunteer Training so residents can learn more about urban forestry and how they can care for trees in their community
Is having a green 2018 part of your New Year’s resolution? Then sign up for our e-newsletter to hear about events that you can get involved in, or consider making a donation to Oakvillegreen to help support our youth programs.